Thursday, April 21, 2011

An open letter to Sheila Dikshit

Dear Madame Chief Minister,
                                     
                                             My sincerest apologies for writing this letter in the first place and taking away a chunk of your valuable time that could've been spent in resolving state matters requiring urgent attention. Let me first express my deepest admiration for your excellent leadership skills. I know it wasn't exactly smooth sailing for you all throughout the Commonwealth Games preparations. But in my humble opinion, one or two major minor gaffes (like a footbridge collapsing and fatally injuring a few ordinary labourers) are quite within the permissible limit of screwing up. And besides, given the administrative capabilities of the majority of our politicians, you are like a ray of shimmering hope amidst blinding darkness. For God's sake you've maintained an iron stranglehold over Delhi since 1998. That speaks volumes about your popularity as a leader.
A humble commoner like me who isn't even a resident of the esteemed political capital of this country does not really have any business writing a letter to its more esteemed Chief Minister.
But then again I do. As is common knowledge, the number of crimes perpetrated against women in your city has been attaining mammoth proportions in recent times. And since I'm also a cursed blessed member of the so-called 'weaker sex', I can't help but express my concerns in the subtlest of manners.

A couple of years ago on an eventful day, when I was not quite aware of the plight of women in your state, I came back home to hear news of a tragedy that had occurred within my own family. I know it must be difficult to remember all the hapless victims of the past, but I'm sure the names Jigisha Ghosh and Saumya Vishwanathan ring a bell somewhere. Both of them were mercilessly murdered by the same gang.
Jigisha was a relative's daughter. An only child at that. I'm sure you can imagine the present state of her parents who are still alive somehow, but resemble the living dead more.

Sometimes we're under the wonderful illusion of being inside a protective cocoon and the things that we get to read in the newspapers, can't possibly happen to us. But then when this bubble bursts, we're forced to grapple with the dreadfully brutal prospect of  'I can be next'. And that isn't one bit nice.

Just recently someone had joked on twitter - 'Sheila ji is busy reminiscing about days of her jawani and hence she has conveniently forgotten to safeguard the jawani of Delhi women' - thanks to that melodious track from Farah Khan's latest masterpiece.
I can't help but express my disapproval over it.
At 73, you're still going great guns with no immediate plans of retiring. You're as good as jawan to me. And if somebody thinks you're old, then they need to be reminded of people like Achuthanandan (As Rahul Gandhi had so kindly done a few days back to be labeled an 'Amul Baby' back in retort) and Karunanidhi. As far as that 'dick shit' comment made by that New Zealand tv host goes....don't let it get to you. That racist dunce was just trying to come up with a proper pronunciation of your surname. He didn't mean any disrespect. I'm quite sure. I think.

When we read about an incident of sexual assault or molestation in the capital, we rarely react anymore. It has become as commonplace as another breaking news of corruption within the scam-tainted UPA. No Delhi girl expects to walk the distance from bus-stand A to bus-stand B, without the lingering doubt of being the victim of another eve-teasing incident.
If this goes on any further, I surmise that day isn't far when the political capital of the country will also be known as its "rape capital". And somehow that seems like a title no city/state would ever want to flaunt.

Will it be too much to ask you to revamp the decaying law-and-order system so that no more Radhika Tanwars are shot by stalkers in broad daylight? Or ensure that no Class X girl is held captive, raped by family and then gang-raped in the car in which she tries to flee? For all I know, prevention is certainly much better than cure.
                                  Yours sincerely,
                                   An ordinary and horrified Indian girl.

Photobucket

36 comments:

Anish said...

Reading about crimes like these in the newspaper makes one feel ashamed of being an human being.Sad and shocking.A condition which needs to be remedied immediately.Not befitting a civilized country or society.

Ritu said...

Loved the sarcasm ... but does it make any difference to Sheela madam? She will say "Why do girls walk alone?" and "Why do they visit relatives?"

Prateek said...

Ever since I have started spelling “government”, Sheela Dixit is the only name lingering around the Delhi’s CM chair. I bet she has never imagined her life as “not a CM”. I second your concerns. I am myself a resident of Delhi The Crime Capital. Eve-teasing around Delhi University, rapes around Rajouri Garden are a daily front page news now. Loots in DTC buses by showing a knife or an Rs 2 shaving blade in broad daylight is something I’ve witnessed myself. How will people act if so called “with you and for you” Delhi Police is not even co-operating? CWG was a mess but somehow alternatives helped. She’s above 70 and still not giving her chair for a better candidate much younger to her, capable to run the state not ruins the capital.
Amul Baby, now he wants to become the next big thing. Clearly it is of no use to put country in the hands of such an ill-equipped man.

Sparkling Star said...

Brilliant piece, Sammy!!!
This is a disgusting state of affairs of women, in a state, ruled by a woman!!

Giribala said...

Deep-rooted malaise just like corruption!

Deeps!! said...

Wish she really read this!! Its truly a very sad state of affairs!!

Blasphemous Aesthete said...

Sometimes I feel like sympathizing with them, for either being so numb and deaf, or so oblivious to the real situations. What would she say if she read it, maybe grant a compensation package for the family.

Sigh.

Nice read,

Blasphemous Aesthete

Meena Narayan said...

excellent this is exactly what sheila is known for...well put

Vikas P Goel said...

Hope this well put up post is read and acted upon

Amritha Pillay said...

Hi, thats a nice open letter that dixit needs...especially when she thinks if a girl moves around midnight she is to be blamed for all evils inflicted on herself ( suamya' case) I am from Bombay and faced atleast three eve teasing incidents in my two-day visit to Delhi.....Just had a doubt in mind, we girls in Mumbai dare to pull a collar, hurl abuses and hit hard till the eve teaser flees, that's the culture here..... Does Delhi not offer u such options atleast are men so thick skinned and shameless? if thats the case, really feel sorry for the fairer sex in Delhi...

sliceofmylyfe said...

Very well written. I wish that all these maladies go away and the capital be a safer place for everybody to live.

Nethra said...

It's really sad. I don't like the way people kill each other or trouble each other. Why cannot we just live and let others live?!? All that a politician wants is to increase his bank balance. Can't he be considerate of people just for a change? I'm damn tired of all these things.

I threaten men when they tease me or pass dirty comments when I am walking alone and it works all the time. Only way to get rid of these rapes and eveteasing is by protecting each other. We should not just walk away when men are troubling some other girl.

Anirban Saha said...

it was great reading this!

nidhi said...

I would not say it was a great read, for it was not just a read. No matter how many times this issue is brought up, it manages to evoke a response from me. Being a resident of the capital myself, I assure you I carry a pepper spray and a knife myself. Only when Ms. Dixit's daughter would have to carry then around everyday, would she know; but then, how would she? She has been living the life of the CM's daughter for more than a decade now.

Thanks Samadrita for writing on the issue. Much appreciate it :)

♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ ayu ♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ said...

well talking about humanity..haha..no matter what race we are..we always have problems in humanity..how people treat each other

Samadrita said...

@Anish: Who knows when that will happen? Sheila ji needs to wake up. For real. :)

@Ritu di: More like we should ask her to appoint a bodyguard for every Delhi woman. How can a lady at her age say such a thing?

@Prateek: You've witnessed a looting incident yourself? OMG tell me all the details later.

@Sparkling Star: I agree with you fully. No doubts there.

@GB: This totally is.

Samadrita said...

@Deeps: It will truly be a pity if one has to read a letter or letters to come to their senses and take some action. I get horrified with the very thought of ever taking up quarters in Delhi.

@BA: That's what she would do I suppose. Or place the blame with the victims.

@Meena Narayan: Thanks ma'am.

@Vikas P Goel: I am not sure about that. But that didn't stop me from expressing my views here. Thanks for reading :)

@Amritha Pillay: I am not a resident of Delhi myself. But do read the news regularly and needless to say such happenings in the political capital have left me speechless and terrified to no end. Not only that, people in my own family have been affected too as you can say from the letter that Jigisha was a relative. From all this I surmise the condition of womenfolk in the capital is truly pitiable.

Angry Ganu said...

Isn't Delhi already the "rape" capital of India?

The best punishment for rapists would be to electrocute their "dick shit".

Angry Ganu

Samadrita said...

@sliceofmylife: So do I. :)

@Nethra: I agree with your line of thought. Help someone in distress or atleast get some help for the victim. But I wonder how many of us have the courage to stand up to such crimes.

@Anirban Saha: Thank you. I'm glad to hear that :)

@nidhi: Sheila ji's daughter has surpassed the age where she could be under the threat of a sexual assault I assume. Now if she has a grand-daughter then that's a different thing. Glad to know you could relate to the post. :)

@ayu: I guess we do. But this is a problem prevailing in a particular city of our country.

Alka Gurha said...

Hope Ms Dikshit reads it.....loved the subtle sarcasm.

Purba said...

It has to start with educating the Indian male that a woman alone is not up for grabs. And such is the image of Delhi Police, that a policeman will always be her last resort, when she is in trouble.

That the capital is flanked by UP and Haryana doesn't help things either.

Deepa said...

Well written. And well said! I couldn't agree more. I don't live in Delhi either - but do visit it on business every once in a while. And I do not feel safe in this city. I try to take whatever precautions I can. Like taking a flight that does not arrive too late, always informing people of my whereabouts and keeping my phone charged and handly.

subtlescribbler said...

the sarcasm was excellent..apt use of words...but does it have any affect on Sheila ji or her 73yrs old jawani? Delhi is unsafe for women..i have been hearing this since d time i was born in d capital..and 20 yrs hence..i hear this louder and clearer!
These men can never change..no matter what laws are made or whtever action is taken!
neways my condolences to ur relatives!

sarah

Arnav said...

Great Letter .. if only we could combine all voices and pass the massive blow to the so called guardians of the civil society ..

You got yourself a new follower ..

saurav said...

good....

but the worst part is that, we the peole are so much unconcerned that we cant respond till it hits us....think yourslf
,,5 such person ...on road in around 100s of ppl...then also they dont fear...

Rituparna said...

I hope this letter reaches her. N then I hope against hope she decided to do something about it.

Pundit Commentator said...

Send this letter to the National Commission for Women.

Next time you feel like discussing politics, you're very welcome at my blog for a chat.

Rachit said...

Delhi has become an epicenter of all sorts of crimes. A great way to let its masters know about the public grievance.

Matangi Mawley said...

I've lost hope with the govt. all the 'mera bharath jawan' is an eye-wash... just for people who hold a bunch or credit cards and pay off debts with loans ... all the hard toil gone to ash...

over two yrs now... kasab still in the safety of the prison... death sentences are never executed in this country... here- i dont want to be a saint... i dont want to be a gandhi... i'm just a niece who has lost her uncle and had seen two kids lose their father... to the tragedy that happened on 26/11...

national security is another thing... and here we are discussing 'protection for women'! in a country where something like a 'womens' bill' had to be 'bought'-in... 'harassment' is way below in the list!

but the post did blow the spark deep down in me...

Deepika said...

tough not from Delhi but i have been through such circumstances .. no place is safe nowadays. we read news and overlook like its from another world and there is no way we can be at there place someday but deep within we are scared to accept the reality and that's why prefer being here on computers then out there free unafraid.
good post samadrita

blitzlion said...

quite touching article... though i must say that if people start looking towards politicians to make a change then such stupidity will go miles in continuing such crimes against humanity...it is not sheila who can make a change.... it is the men who live in that city,... it is you and me, ... in the army we have a saying, roko aur toko,... stop and punish in simple form, there needs to be a mass awakening ,... and that will happen when guys get onto the streets with a mission, it could start with 20 boys from your colony,... making a statement ...sooon we will have pepole from all walks going all out to come up with ideas to protect our women in these streets... well thats like a dream now, but i believe the first step is to stop saying chalta hai, rahne do and Blast The Bugger with hell and angst ridden vengeance with a splattering of police action and media publicity...need to have some real archaic laws like the sharia to sort out these dickless pricks... real men dont tease

Sach! said...

:( very well written! Agree to every thing.. I wish Sheila Madam had to face anything of what we girls face. Din me dhoop shaam me langoor.. uff!

Snow Leopard said...

Sigh....it feels bad to know that you are living in the Crime Capital of the country. But can't deny or look away from the fact either.
As Purba said, the mentality of many is still medieval and the bordering Haryana and UP make the situation worse.
And no one wants to go to the Police.
About Mrs Dikshit...never liked her. She is very shrewed and cunning. And if rumours are to be believed, she might be one of the most corrupt in the country.

Dr Kenit Patel said...

I jst read ur blog, and i have become a fan of u..i am following u now by rss since i have a lot to learn from u for my blog..
http://www.drkenit.blogspot.com/

Santanu said...

Delhi is a bit more safer than before...atleast there are lesser news on papers and TV

Deguide said...

Good wake up call for the CM of Delhi, when Kiran Bedi was incharge of Civil Defence in Delhi she had planned to enroll I was working on a plan where the one lakh youth of the civil defence would work in tandem with the 55,000 men of Delhi Police. This needs to be followed up dear CM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...